anything else, we must bear in mind that to follow this tour we
need to have visas for Mauritania and Mali. Once we have them, we
can set off for Walata taking the mountain route. In this way we
can follow the path of the lions, see the old stone traps there
are in the area and let ourselves get carried away by the magic
of the sunset we are presented with on our arrival at Walata.
The city of Walata is a world in itself and needs
to be discovered unhurriedly. A guided tour will introduce us to
its town-planning, the interior of the houses, the historical, legend-filled
ruins and its large manuscript museum. Furthermore, from this town,
an informed guide will take us to Shuergde, to the legendary mountain
of Tiguiguil and to see the ancient rock carvings at Tuecritt.
this stone riverbed we return to Nema for a tour of the Empire of
Ghana. From Timbedra we take the road towards Kumbi Saleh—with
the ruins of the ancient empire nearby—and then we return
to the 'Road of Hope' towards Ayoun. From here we go on to Tamchakett,
where we can visit the archaeological remains at Awdagost.
Returning to Ayoun, we visit
the oasis of Berbere and from here we travel to Basiconu, via Nema,
Lake Faguibine and Timbuktu. A tour of this city will give us an
idea of its importance, as we visit its museum, its mosques, the
handicraft centre and all its urban and cultural wealth. We finally
end our trip when, after leaving Timbuktu, we head for Mopti, Segu
and Bamaco until we get to Nara and then Nema.
Visas for Mauritania and
Mali are needed for this trip.
We consider the outing as starting from Nema airport.
- Nema-Walata, by the mountain route. Visit to the museum and
Dhar Walata (path of the lions. Stone traps and view of the sunset).
- Walata. Guided tour of the city, interior of traditional houses,
old centre and manuscript library. Night-time games, stories and
- Walata-Shuergde-Tuecritt-Walata. Party night
- Walata (farming belt and traditional wells)-Tiguiguil-Nema
- Nema-Timbedra-Kumbi Saleh-Ayoun
- Temchaket-Awdagost-Berbere oasis
- Berbere -Nema-Basiconú
- Basiconu-Lake Faguibine-Timbuktu
- Timbuktu. Tour of the city, museum and mosques
- Timbuktu. Visit to the handicraft centre and the study centre.
Puerto Koriomé and trip to Mopti by boat or overland, according
to the time of year and the weather.
- Mopti. Tour of the city and surrounding area
- Mopti-Djené, visiting the mosque and the market-Segu
- Segu, including visit to the tapestry factory-Bamaco
- Bamaco, National Museum-Nara